Thursday, March 10, 2011

Denial is Painful...

Please excuse my lack of updates and motivation...
But I have been in a painful place called, Denial in the country of Resistance. I am about to hit my 3 month mark on my journey and I already hit a plateau, WTF!  I continue my workouts but notice I don't have the drive or the dripping of sweat I used to, my endurance grows and I feel stronger but I am not noticing a whole lot of change in my appearance. Based on the effort I am putting in I don't feel like I am being unrealistic but am I being honest???


Last Friday after a night of work and a 
DELICIOUS margarita, I got home and the frustration and disappointment set it. I reflected on my margarita and thought after all the hard work I put in am I just canceling one out for the other???

Now this is a stupid question because the answer is YES, it has always been YES, I have always known it was YES but typical me I thought I could ignore the reality...

In the last 10 years PS(post sports) I have been trying to figure out this whole health, diet and exercise thing and I have done a lot of reading. Health magazines, creepy diets, healthy diet habit, "Eat this, Not that", blah blah blah. The issue for me was easy I LOVE food and good food too so those readings did not apply to me. Unfortunately this day in age the target market for this educational material is for the "fast food nation" and those looking to lose 30+ lbs. Therefore the information falls on deaf ears: don't eat a Big Mac, eat a McChicken or cut back from three sodas to cut 600 empty calories or a routine that claims lifting 3lbs weights for 3 set will give you sexy toned arms.

None of this applies to me I don't eat fast food, junk food, fake food, whatever you want to call it plus I am not sedentary there for encouragement of minimal effort is not gonna cut it for me. What about me, where do I fit in???



That Friday night I did some real reading and real learning with less denial and resistance. I was able to reflect and acknowledge that despite not having a traditional junk food diet I needed to ADJUST mine or else I would keep spinning my wheels. I sorted out the gimmicks, sales pitches and found answers that will help ME. 
But something is missing... The discipline and commitment I have for my workouts need to be applied to my diet. 
So I am taking the first step, admitting I have a problem. Good-bye DENIAL! Next pin pointing the spots of RESISTANCE to help myself make positive changes. 


Needless to say this week has been rough my attitude has been really no bueno, I can't put all the blame on my diet because in the meantime real life is still happening too. But this journey is truly bringing me joy and is an exciting challenge, so this is just another level. So here we go, the honest truth (not just what I want to hear).



+Changes
eating a quality breakfast with good sources of protein everyday
beans with 2-3 meals a day (great source of natural fiber)
eating 3-4 times a day
minimal minimal amounts of cheese and not just minimal for me
no mindless snacking or snacking while I prep a meal (super bad habit)
increasing water intake
making an effort to eat more veggies
cutting back on coffee and switched from half and half to soy creamer(1g sugar)
smaller portions 


Some of my informative literature that prevented "Giving Up"
http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/02/10/diet-challenge-1-superfoods/
http://www.findyourbodytype.com/ 
http://www.fourhourbody.com/
*I have not purchased any supplements or products based on any of the reading I am trying to just pick out the information that was relevant to me. So read with yourself in mind.


I am embracing these tweaks, reductions, adjustment and efforts. In turn I felt rejuvenated in my workouts this week and was finally able to see the progress I am making but wasn't willing to see before. I am glad this happened now and not in November...


And I can't say it enough, I LOVE LOVE LOVE
It is not just about the workout but the community, the education and once you get into it, it becomes apart of your life and a day without Zuzana and Freddy feels lonely!

No comments:

Post a Comment