Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nutritional Bite for the Week...

In honor of my diet insanity this week I am trying to reel myself back to reality. I can't seem to feed myself anything remotely healthy or green, therefore I am highlighting Super Foods! No I am not talking about Odwalla's "Super Food" that packs 600 calories into a bottle by disguising thick pulpy fruit juice  in a murky green to make you think it is good for you. Nor I am I suggesting you contribute to robbing Brazil of it's precious Acai berry for $7 per serving. No gimmicks just healthy foods that will provide great benefits, they will fit into any budget and can be found in any store. Super Food should be included in every meal and snack. These food are nutrient rich and help satisfy hunger and sustain you longer, that is just the beginning...


Protein – lean red meat, salmon, eggs, low fat plain yogurt (some Greek brands have 20+ grams of protein), black beans, tofu/tempeh , kidney beans, low fat cottage cheese, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, protein supplements (check for sugars)
Veggies and Fruits spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, oranges, mixed berries, lettuce, bananas, grapefruits, cucumbers, kale, collards,
Carbs and Fiber – mixed beans, quinoa, whole oats, amaranth
Good Fats* – mixed nuts, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, fish oil, flax seeds (ground), coconut milk
* watch your portion control here, these foods are very dense in calories and easy to over do it

Drinks – green tea, coffee, H2O
I am not educated enough to promote any other drinks however drinks can be a diet sabotage so check your labels avoid high sugar content (fructose, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, agave nectar, honey, can juice) they are additives that tack on extra calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment